Activities in Foxford
Fishing: Please see our dedicated fishing page about The River Moy. Other fishing option are:
Lough Conn’s reputation as a fine brown trout and salmon fishery goes back to the very beginning of angling in the west of Ireland. There is a sizeable char population present. It is a big lough – about 14,000 acres – and measures 9 miles from north to south and varies in width from 2 to 4 miles. Conn is regarded as a very free-taking lough. It is a great favourite with those who like to fish traditional style in front of the boat and, because trout take the wet fly so freely, very little dapping takes place there – indeed, it is almost frowned upon. Conn is the first choice in the country for international matches – a measure of its reputation for producing fish.
Cullin holds an excellent stock of brown trout averaging ¾ – 1 lb with some fish to 4 lb. It also gets a run of salmon, both spring and summer fish. In fact, all the fish heading for Lough Conn and its inflowing rivers must pass through Cullin and that can be an awful lot of fish. Many of them rest in Cullin on their way.
Season for Conn & Cullin
Trout: 15 February - 30 September
Salmon: 01 February – 30 September
Above: Lough Cullen
The Derryhick lake is the ideal place to go pike fishing in Mayo yet relatively unknown. It is sheltered and re-stocked every winter by the North West Regional Fisheries Board with pike taken out of the nearby Loughs Conn and Cullin. This to protect the wild trout and Salmon stocks in these larger lakes. The Derryhick lake also holds good stocks of Roach, Perch and Eel.
The Derryhick Lake is a small lake of 31 Hectares (75 acres) with a maximum depth of 14.5 meters (50 feet). Four to five pike per person per day is not unusual. Pike is caught on lures, dead beat, spinners and even on the fly.
Above: Derryhick Lough
Killala Bay, at Enniscrone
Killala Bay is one of the prime fishing locations in Ireland, with a vast variety of fishing and species available. The deep waters off the continental shelf are quite close to the coast, leading to catches of Mackerel, Pollack, Flounder, Dogfish, Sea-Trout, Mullet & unusual catches such as John Dory and even Hake!
Why not check out the tide times at (http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/easytide/easytide/showprediction.aspx?portid=0692&predictionlength=7) please provide this link as a pop up if possible and not a re-direction to the page
Above: Pier At Enniscrone
Mayo has some superb golf courses, ranging from 9 hole par 3 courses, to full 18 hole championship golf courses and golf links.
Achill Island Golf Club
Ballina Golf Club
Ballinrobe Golf Club
Ballyhaunis Golf Club
Castlebar Golf Club
Carne Golf Club
Claremorris Golf Club
Mulranny Golf Club
Swinford Golf Club
Westport Golf Club
Above: Swinford Golf Course
Foxford Woollen Mills
Foxford Woollen Mills Visitor Centre was opened in May 1992. It informs us of the story of a remarkable nun, Mother Agnes Morrogh-Bernard (1842-1932), who established the Foxford Woollen Mills in 1892 and altered the town and district. Mother Agnes Morrogh-Bernard made Foxford synonymous throughout the world with excellent quality tweeds, blankets and rugs. Her story can be heard in the centre using an ingenious three-dimensional audio-visual presentation including animated life-size models (including ‘talking people’) in authentic settings. The storyteller is Mayo-born actor Michael Lally (of RTE ‘Glenroe’ fame).
Following ‘The Foxford Story’, visitors are taken on a guided tour of the working Woollen Mills, where the skilled craftspeople can be seen at work.
Other facilities available include a restaurant, Shop, art gallery, exhibition centre, bureau-de-change and sufficient car parking facilities.
Address: Foxford Woolen Mills , Saint Josephs Place , Foxford, Co Mayo, Republic of Ireland
Telephone: +353 (0)94 9256104 (Shopping)
Telephone: +353 (0)94 9257280 (Restaurant)
Fax: +353 (0)94 9256794
Above: Foxford Woollen Mills
Michael Davitt Museum
Michael Davitt was born, evicted and buried in Straide, County Mayo, Ireland. He was known as the “Father of the Land League” because of his work in the League and its success in getting the land of Ireland for the people of Ireland. He became recognized afterwards for his humanitarian work throughout the world.
Address: Straide, Foxford, Co Mayo, Republic Of Ireland
Telephone: +353 (0)94 9031022
Telephone: +353 (0)94 9031942
Above: Michael Davitt Museum
Hennigan’s Heritage Farm
Situated in unspoilt countryside overlooking Creagaballa Lake 6.5km from the workhouse at Swinford where thousands of people from the region died during the 19th century due to starvation, and 20 km from The Museum of Country Life, Turlough.
The purpose of the Heritage Centre is to preserve and showcase the heritage of life of the Mayo area, from farming, house and home, to jobs and work, to celebration of life.
At the heart of the centre is the thatched cottage built in the 1870′s where the Hennigan family lived until 1970. Tom Hennigan was born and grew up in this house.
The opportunity to see and hear stories and history related by Tom Hennigan is not to be missed.
Above: Hennigan’s Heritage Farm
Foxford is a haven for hillwalkers and lovers of the great outdoors, although not frequented by many because of the seeming peripheral nature of the region.
Nephin, has been climbed for generations. The magnificent mountain can be seen for miles around, from Bangor Erris to Sligo
Neiphin stands overlooking Lough Conn, and can be accessed from many routes. The summit, reaching 806metres high gives you a breathless view of the area and on a clear day the mountains of Donegal & Connemara can be seen
The Foxford Way
The Foxford Way is 86km long, with the Ox Mountains on one side and the unique Nephin Mountain on the other; it is one of Mayo’s finest walks.
During your walk, you will experience bogs, mountains, River and lakes breathtaking scenery to delight the walker. Although not obvious to the landscape, the influence of man is chronicled through the many attractive pre-historic and early Christian sites throughout your walk.
Address: Foxford Visitor Information Centre , , Foxford, Co Mayo, Republic of Ireland
Telephone: +353 (0)94 9256488
Fax: +353 (0)94 9256194
Above: The Foxford Way
Croagh Patrick Visitor Centre
Located some 50km from Foxford & near the town of Westport this 640 metres high climb is known in Irish Celtic as Cruach Phádraig and colloquially as “the Reek,”. Croagh Patrick has been a sacred site since ancient times.
Neolithic art can still be seen on a rock outcropping known as “St. Patrick’s Chair” along the path to the top, and a Celtic hill fort was recently uncovered at the base of the mountain.
According to Christian tradition, St. Patrick went up the sacred mountain at festival time in 441 AD. After fasting at the summit for 40 days, he banished all the snakes and demons from Ireland.
Mt. Croagh Patrick is the most important Catholic pilgrimage destination in Ireland. Nearly one million visitors, most of them pilgrims, climb to the top every year. Almost 30,000 pilgrims make the trek on the last Sunday in July, known as “Reek Sunday.”
Teach na Miasa, Murrisk,
Telephone: +353 (0) 98 64114
Fax: +353 (0) 98 64115
Above: Croagh Patrick
Ceide Fields & Downpatrick Head
40 km from Foxford & Located near the town of Ballycastle the remarkable neolithic site at Céide Fields in County Mayo, Ireland, contains the oldest known stone-walled fields in the world – dating back nearly 6,000 years.
Céide Fields overlooks the mighty Atlantic Ocean which gently laps or vigorously pounds (depending on the weather!) up against the cliffs below. The landscape itself has been forged from the dramatic upheaval and movement of the earths crust over millions of years.
Downpatrick Head & The Sea Stack known as ‘Dún Briste’ (The Broken Fort) can be seen from The Ceide Fields, & is a spectacular view, it was separated from the mainland in 1393 as a result of high seas.It is 63 metres by 23 metres, 45 metres high and 228 metres from the shore.
Above: Dun Briste at Downpatrick Head
Marian Shrine Knock
Situated 25km from Foxford the Marian Shrine, Knock is one of the greates shrines in the world. The Story of Knock began on the 21st August 1879 when Our Lady, St. Joseph and St. John the Evangelist appeared at the south gable of Knock Parish Church. The apparition was witnessed by fifteen people, young and old. From this miraculous Apparition, Knock has grown to the status of an internationally recognised Marian Shrine. One and a half million pilgrims visit the Shrine annually.
Above: Knock Shrine
National Museum of Country Life
Situated in Turlough, 15km from Foxford & near the town of Castlebar The National Museum of Ireland – Country Life is home to the national collection of objects representing the traditional way of life in Ireland since 1850.
It is set in modern exhibition galleries in the spectacular grounds of Turlough Park House and is surrounded by magnificent gardens and a beautiful lake. Admission to the Museum is free.
Tuesday – Saturday: 10am – 5pm
Sunday: 2pm – 5pm
Closed Mondays, Christmas Day and Good Friday
+353 1 6777444
Above: Turlough House at The National Museum of Country Life
Fr. Peyton Centre
The Fr. Peyton Centre is a a place of respite, prayer and peace. It is highly respected by pilgrims and is a popular tourist attraction.
Fr Peyton was one of Ireland’s most famous priests and was internationally known as the ‘Rosary Priest’
The Fr Peyton CSC Memorial Centre was officially opened and dedicated on 10th October 1998
The Centre commemorates the life and apostolic work of Fr Peyton CSC
|Fr Peyton Memorial Centre
|Tel: +353 (0) 96 45374
Fax: +353 (0) 96 45375
Coolcronan Equestrian Centre
All standards of rider are catered for
· Qualified & Experienced Staff and Instructors in all disciplines.
· Coaching for adults.
· Coaching for unaccompanied children a speciality.
· Dedicated Hunter Trials Course in various lengths, suitable for all abilities.
Above: Coolcronnan Equestrian